Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Meal No. 2124: Pork Medallions with Ginger-Soy-Shiitake Sauce


By special birthday request, I served up pan-seared pork medallions with the very special ginger-soy-shiitake mushroom cream sauce on Thursday night. And you can't serve that main dish without the also-quite-special company mashed potatoes. I did try to fancy it up a bit with Brussels sprouts gratin, and it all came together pretty terrifically.


And there was also a well-intentioned dessert that didn't come out quite like I wanted. I used to make white wine coffee cake all the time with no or few hitches. Now I can't get it right to save my neck. So I dumped the mess into a Rubbermaid container and stuck a celebratory birthday candle into the pile.




Cream Sauce based on "Pan-Seared Tuna with Ginger-Shiitake Cream Sauce," from The Bon Appétit Cookbook by Barbara Fairchild, 2006, p. 398-399.

"Company Mashed Potatoes," a Jones family favorite.

"Brussels Sprouts Gratin," by Alison Roman. From Cooking on newyorktimes.com.

No comments: