Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Television Troubles: Goodbye, Panasonic; Hello, LG!

Just over six years ago, I was pleased to report that a fine new flat screen plasma 3D television had arrived at the Roediger House. It was highly rated in Consumer Reports and both 3D and plasma were supposed to be the new thing, with a remarkably long life. Of course, the last of the Panasonic Viera plasma TVs were made in 2014, Panasonic pulled out of the US television market in 2016, and mine died the middle of April, quite short of its promised life expectancy. I can promise you I lacked great desire to have to invest in an expensive replacement right after filing and paying taxes...but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.


With Monday, April 16th clear on my schedule in case I needed the extra time to finish those taxes, I was able to knock out this round of Consumer Reports research and settle on a new TV choice: an LG OLED. Fortunately, it was available at Costco at a special price and before lunchtime that day I brought that sucker home. It is blade thin and bigger than the TV it replaces, and the picture is amazing.



No comments: