Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Meal No. 1989: Southern Fried Chicken Thighs


Every once in a while, you just gotta have some fried chicken. I've not experimented with this much and haven't had great results the few times I have attempted it. So last Saturday night I was interested in giving it another go, in hopes that a combination of sous vide and deep-frying would guarantee a more pleasing outcome.


And wow. Wow! People, I'm telling you: wow. Crispy and full of flavor inside and out: this was some really awesome fried chicken. The Joule did the sous vide cooking of the thighs, and I used the Paragon to heat a Dutch oven full of oil up to 375°F for a quick goldening crust. I used the Instant Pot again tonight to handle a new recipe for macaroni and cheese. I'd already made a batch of applesauce and green beans sounded right with it all. And there were hoecake-style biscuits, along with honey butter. I sure hate you had to miss this fine meal on Christmas Eve Eve!



Fried Chicken, with ideas and help from:

"Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese," from Bob Warden. In Great Food Fast, Brandon, MS: Quail Ridge Press (2012), p. 122-123.

Inspiration for Homemade Applesauce came from the late Evelyn Coulson of Cana, VA. Additional ideas and guidance came from:

"Fluffy Southern-Style Hoecakes," by Erica of My Busy Bees and Me. Recipe first encountered through her YouTube video.

No comments: