Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Meal No. 1985: French Toast


The mid-day meal on Thursday was the inaugural use of my brand-new cooktop: classic Challah french toast.


As I noted in a few recent blog posts, the Bosch cooktop (that was installed when the kitchen was demolished and rebuilt in early 2009) developed a circuit- or motherboard issue that was going to be quite costly to repair. It seemed to me that the hundreds of dollars to fix a broken one could go a long way on an upgraded cooktop! After doing my online research and thinking it through a good bit, I settled on a 36-inch Samsung induction cooktop. In all the years I've consulted Consumer Reports for (mostly) major purchases, I think this was the first time I'd seen a 100 rating:


I wasn't in any hurry, but suddenly the cooktop was on an extra big sale with an additional discount for Samsung appliances, which knocked the price down by over $600.00. I ordered it promptly, and the appliance delivery crew was here late Wednesday afternoon. My electrician was able to schedule me for first thing Thursday morning, so now it's all hooked up and working great.



Interestingly, only a few of weeks ago, I'd finally decided to take advantage of a great sale and replace my old hand-me-down Revereware cooking ware with the AllClad set I'd had my eye on:


Perfect timing to be ready for induction cooking!




"French Toast," from King Arthur Flour online.

No comments: