Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Great American Eclipse 2017


Tracking all the way across the country, from Oregon to South Carolina, the spectacularly-hyped solar eclipse of 2017 was not a disappointment. Although I'd briefly toyed with the idea of trying to get somewhere along its 70-mile-wide path of totality, in the end I decided I would enjoy it from the comfort of my own yard. We had 94.3 percent obscurity at the 2:41 pm peak yesterday, and it remained a reasonably bright and sunny day. I thought it had a slight graying, like the way they used to film "night" scenes on Perry Mason back in the day. I had proper eclipse glasses and loved watching it proceed through the mid-afternoon. I snagged a shot of myself just before the near-totality moment:


Inspired by a post by my friend and colleague John Lloyd, I also had my own colander eclipse shadow moment:


No comments: