Search RoHo Blog

Monday, July 3, 2017

Meal No. 1863: Slow-Roasted Angus Beef Tenderloin

Sunday morning was a perfect time for me to knock out several kitchen prep tasks in anticipation of an out-of-town guest's arrival and a festive feast planned for Monday night. It's been quite some time since I made my South Carolina-style pimento cheese, but I managed to put together a batch so that it could be partaken of when needed for the next several days. I also got a fresh batch of applesauce made so that it would have time to chill and set-up before the Monday night to-do. Finally, I also made a terrific ice cream for Monday night's dessert (and that will be blogged about later).


With pretty much all of the attendees looking forward to having Tuesday off for Independence Day, it was a no-brainer to do a big dinner and some movies this evening. I had grabbed a whole Angus beef tenderloin on sale at the Harris Teeter, and I trimmed it down to a chateaubriand cut and tied it up and let it age in the open air of the fridge overnight. Then, once again guided by the folks at seriouseats.com, I slow-roasted it into medium-rare perfection. I always like to have our spicy horseradish sauce to go with it. Stuffed twice-baked potatoes, that homemade applesauce, and the house favorite of layered green bean casserole also made an appearance.




"South Carolina-Style Pimento Cheese." Recipe worked out by me, based on Sharon's Palmetto Pimento Cheese.

"Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin," from J. Kenji López-Alt, Managing Culinary Director of SeriousEats.com.

"Spicy Horseradish Sauce" from "Beef Tenderloin in Wine Sauce," from The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. Compiled and Edited by Julie Fisher Gunter. Oxmoor Press (2006), p. 295, 296.

"Stuffed Potatoes: Good/Better/Best," a recipe clipping saved from Cuisine at Home, Issue 60 [December 2006], p. 23-25. Reminder about crispier potato skins from "Crispy Baked Potato," from The Kitchen on foodnetwork.com.

"Layered Green Bean Casserole," from my sister Allison in Rossville, Indiana.

Inspiration for Homemade Applesauce came from Evelyn Coulson of Cana, VA. Guidance for Homemade Applesauce came from:

No comments: