Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Meal No. 1702: Moravian Chicken Pies

While I've battled this bad cold all week (which wasn't debilitating but I wasn't up to snuff, either!), I've taken myself off kitchen duty. One night I just ate oatmeal and toast; one night supper was taken down at the West End Cafe; one night I skipped altogether because I came home from an 11-hour day with as close to a migraine as I ever get...and went straight to bed.


So it was really kind of a treat last night to have six folks coming for dinner and to get back into the swing of things. Since it was briskly cold for early December, with high temps around 40, it seemed a good night to bring out a seasonally appropriate comfort meal: Moravian chicken pies (two of 'em!), sweet potato casserole with a pecan-brown sugar streussel, and seasoned green beans.

It was all warmly received before the crew retreated upstairs for some high-spirited rounds of Trivial Pursuit.



"Moravian Chicken Pie," adapted from a recipe by Mimi Patterson and published in Cooking with Grace: A Collection of Favorite Recipes from Our Congregation to Your Home, by the Women's Fellowship of Grace Moravian Church in Mount Airy, NC (2001), p. 47.

"Sweet Potato Casserole," based in part on Wanda Byerly's recipe, found in Cooking with Grace, by the Women's Fellowship of Grace Moravian Church, Mount Airy, NC (2001), p. 39.

No comments: