Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Atlantic Beach Pie


The recent super epic rainbow cake and its frosting required an excessive number of egg whites. It seemed a shame to waste so many accompanying egg yolks, which is why I've made batches of two different ice creams as well as this blog post's feature: Atlantic Beach Pie. In past attempts at this amazing (and ridiculously simple!) dessert, I've used a deep dish pie plate, which encouraged me to make too thin a crust with sides that loomed over the pie filling. When I made the pie this past week, I used a regular pie dish and got a pretty thick crust. I'm not sure which is better, but I do like the different special effect of using crushed Ritz with sugar and butter to create it, as opposed to the traditional graham cracker crust.




"One Phenomenal Pie: Atlantic Beach Pie," from Chef Bill Smith. Published in Our State Magazine, May 2014. Also featured in "Found Recipes" on All Things Considered from National Public Radio, broadcast April 13, 2013.

No comments: