Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Under Counter Xenon Bulbs


When determining the electrical needs in the kitchen addition back in 2008-2009, I definitely wanted both over- and under-cabinet lighting. My electrician recommended wired units that used Xenon, rather than halogen, bulbs. He said I'd get better light and less heat. I've definitely liked them.

But some units do seem to suffer from more regular bulb burn-outs than others, so I think that will be something for my current electrician to look into. I do worry some about how warm the bottom shelves of the cabinets get, and it's led me to shift what kind of pantry items I store at that level.

January 2014 Bulb Blow-Out

And at least twice, I've had exploding bulbs, which just makes me nervous. The latest was at the end of August. I don't know if it was a power surge or what, but I was making dinner and POW!! A bulb in the wetbar area exploded with an incredibly loud pop, scattering glass fragments in a short radius. Here's the "after" shot of it:


No comments: