Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Meal No. 1446: Savory Beef & Broccoli Turnovers

It was still cool, damp, and rainy this past Monday night when five of us gathered around the Roediger House kitchen table to enjoy a meal together. I went with the savory beef and broccoli phyllo turnovers that have been such a delightful hit the few times I've made them.


Since Kraft discontinued one of the essential ingredients in this recipe ("Philadelphia Cooking Creme"), I have to make my own version of it, which is why I was glad to stumble across a helpful guide for it from the Finding Joy in My Kitchen blog.


I also returned to a recipe for cooked carrots that my sister and her husband shared with me. I like this, although I always wonder about how I might turn up the flavor just a bit. Still, along with pretty perfectly steamed broccoli, the carrots were a perfect addition to the turnovers.



"Savory Garlic Beef & Broccoli Turnovers," by Kirsten Shabaz of Minneapolis, MN. Taste of Home, November 2011, p. 31. (Go to food.com for a copy of the original recipe.)

"DIY Cooking Creme," from Finding Joy in My Kitchen, 25 May 2011.

"Carrot Ginger Fondant," by Chef Monique Jamet Hooker. From KitchenArt: The Store for Cooks (West Lafayette, IN). ["Fondant" seems an interesting word choice, although maybe I just have a misunderstanding of its range of use as a cooking term.]

No comments: