Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Cocoa Layer Cake

The winter weather this past Friday meant being confined to the cabin, if you will. It's not "snowed-in" when pretty much all that fell was just a huge accumulation of sleet. On the one hand, I really REALLY regret that this wasn't the wallop of a massive snow storm, as was promised. But I'm also very relieved that Winston-Salem had almost no freezing rain, which means we didn't have icing, which means there was really no great risk of losing power from downed lines.


In addition to the barbecue chicken soup for dinner, I also made a new cake recipe for the late-night dessert for those of us sheltering in place: cocoa layer cake. This is a clipping from Bon Appétit that's been in my "CAKES" folder for a long time, with a gorgeous picture from the magazine that's always made this cake look heavenly and worth trying.


It's darned chocolate-y, that's for sure, and it employs a technique for the icing that I'm not accustomed to, but I liked the result. It begged for the tall glass of cold milk that I drank with it.



"Cocoa Layer Cake," by Alice Medrich. In Bon Appétit, February 2011, p. 90-91.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, just wow. That looks amazing.

Leslie said...

Wow, just wow. That looks amazing.