Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Meal No. 1434: Chicken with Coronation Sauce


Yesterday was December 12th, and it was a picture-perfect blue-sky sunny warm day here in Winston-Salem. The temps hit just past 70°F and there were some light breezes. My view out the attic window just after mid-day shows the neighboring office building (751 West Fourth) bathed in sunshine with bright blue skies behind it. If you look closely, you'll see people down on the sidewalk near the middle of the picture in t-shirt and shorts.


I got outside and did a second round of gathering the leaves and piling them at the curb. There were still a lot of 'em on the Bradford pear tree, as well as in a tree along the back wall, so I might have to rake one more time.


I also have to note that my crazy azalea bushes are largely STILL in bloom. They started in early October, and they've held their blooms for over two months now. It's blowing my mind.


I did a quick run to the store to grab something fairly easy for dinner last night, and I settled on chicken with coronation sauce. This is one of the house favorites that proved most satisfying to the small Saturday night crew on hand for it.

Downtown Winston-Salem, mid-morning
Taken from Wake Forest Innovation Quarter
(the other side of downtown from the house)

As for today (Sunday), our fair city woke up blanketed in an incredibly thick fog. When I took Cyprus out in the morning, this was what it looked like to try to view the city skyline:




"Coronation Sauce for Chicken," from 400 Sauces, by Catherine Atkinson, Christine France, and Maggie Mayhew. Hermes House (2006, 2008), p. 155.

No comments: