Search RoHo Blog

Friday, November 20, 2015

Scotch Chocolate Cake


At the end of last week, on a night when I didn't cook dinner and just had cereal instead, I still managed to scrounge up something in the kitchen, which turned out to be a scotch chocolate cake. This was one of my mother's specialties when I was in my youth, and I can remember how good it was to take back with me to UNC-Chapel Hill or Wake Forest after a weekend at home. When I was at the University of Virginia, I heard for the first time this dessert being referred to as Texas sheet cake, thanks to friend and mentor Tom Estes. When I moved back to Winston-Salem, I stumbled across an article in the food section of the local daily paper where it was called Scotch chocolate cake.

I just call it delicious and happily serve it up to whoever's around for dinner.



"Scotch Chocolate Cake," [in my world, also known as Texas Sheetcake]. Credited to Susie Timmons. From "Popular: Cake Request Gets 22 Responses," by Michael Hastings, Food Editor of the Winston-Salem Journal. Published October 6, 2010.

No comments: