Search RoHo Blog

Monday, November 2, 2015

Red Velvet Pound Cake

Another new recipe that I'd had on my mind to try was a red velvet pound cake. Things were going along swimmingly but then I realized my flour canister was empty right in the middle of making the cake. I grabbed the final sack of it from the butler's pantry and finished putting it all together. Into the oven it went and I turned my attention to clean-up.


As I was wrapping up the bag of flour, I was startled to discover it was a sack of self-rising flour, which spelled trouble for my cake, for sure! Which proved to be the case: it swelled up something fierce and, within a few minutes of the end of the cook time, collapsed mightily in the middle.


So, it wasn't pretty, and it had the elements of the density of chewy brownies, but it sure still packed a solidly appealing taste. I ended up throwing a lot of it out (there were quite a few desserts simultaneously available that week) but quite a few choice pieces found their way into a collection of bellies.



"Red Velvet Pound Cake," from JudyHayes1965. Found online at Spark Recipes [http://recipes.sparkpeople.com].

No comments: