Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Keyless Entry

Yet another overdue task on my house to-do list was getting a locksmith in to do some work. Ever since the kitchen addition was completed in 2009, there's been a mismatch in exterior door locks: the rear kitchen door to the grill patio did not work with the same key as the other doors. I'm willing to lay the blame for that on my general contractor for that project, Peter R. "Pete" LaRoque of LaRoque Construction (Mocksville, NC). He didn't care that the lock didn't match.

I also wanted to put a keyless codepad deadbolt on the door coming in from the parking lot. The Roediger House has so many good friends who regularly come and go, plus I liked the idea of being able to come in with groceries or from yardwork without having to have my keys on me. Also, over the years, a lot of various contractors have had keys to the house. Now that most of the major work is done, I wanted to reset all the exterior door locks to up the security protections. With this keypad, I can enter temporary codes when needed, and then take them back out. Another bonus is that any departing guest can lock the deadbolt from the outside, whether that guest is gifted with a code or not. That's a nice feature of this new lock.

So, Aaron-Elliott Locksmiths from here in downtown came in late June and rekeyed the locks, installed the new keypad lock, and switched a couple of interior deadbolts for rooms upstairs that I'd changed the assigned use of. So far, so good. It's a much more workable system.

No comments: