Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Squirrel's Bucket List


I keep my birdseed in a small roller cart plastic trashcan, close to the majority of my bird feeders located in the small grove beside the house. It's been relatively safe there for several years now, but I'm afraid a particularly aggressive squirrel has decided he's not content with the droppings and fallings from the feeders and thinks it's time he scored the big time. Do you see the big hole he's eaten into the lid, above?

I've been using the same bucket kept inside of this trashcan, which used to be the form for the birdseed I'd buy at Sam's Club. That was years ago, and now you can only buy the seed in bags there. (You understand, don't you, that I have to buy seed in bulk?) It's an old plastic bucket and the bottom is cracked but I love it. Well, that squirrel made a bit of a mess of it:


I figured he's risen to the level of inescapable nuisance by this point, so it was time to set out the Havahart® trap, and I got him relatively quickly:





He was wild, wild, wild, and it was nearly impossible to get a good mug shot of him. I loaded him into the back of the truck, put a highly-agitated Cyprus into the truck cab with me, and drove this rascal up to a large cemetery near R.J. Reynolds's tech center. When I opened up the trap, I think he must've launched himself into a 15-foot leap off the railing of the truck bed. He was gone like a shot!

No comments: