Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Meal No. 1300: Grilled Porterhouse Steaks and French Fries


Today was the 10th Annual Salute! North Carolina Wine Celebration here in downtown Winston-Salem, which takes place just around the corner from the house (I do love the prime location of this great old place!). It started a couple of years after I bought the Roediger House but I think this is the first year I've actually gone and partaken of it.

It is one of two major wine festivals in the area. The rather official "North Carolina Wine Festival" took place a couple of weeks ago out at Tanglewood Park, just west of town. Not sure that I'll ever go to that one, though, because I understand it attracts between 12,000 and 15,000 people.

The weather was beautiful for it today. No rain, lots of sunshine, a little bit of a breeze...a tad warm but I'll not complain about that. It could have been stormy, or it could have been blistering and stifling. The food trucks on hand made the lunch decision hard but I settled on a quesadilla and was glad for it.

Since I wasn't sure how much I'd really enjoy the festival, and of course by that I do mean whether I'd end up rather tipsy, I figured tonight's dinner had to be simple but good. Not to be stuck in a rut, but with porterhouse steaks on sale and the weather perfect for grilling as well as a wine festival, the choice was easy. I'm now ready for a fat attack, though.


No comments: