Search RoHo Blog

Monday, June 15, 2015

Little (and Medium) Lemon Tarts

Mrs. Pierce on 12/24/77
It would be great if the results visible around the house made a convincing case for it, but I do love getting out into the yard to try to tackle landscaping and beautification of this small downtown lot in the heart of Winston-Salem. I find it easy to slip into reverie, deep thought, or mindless meanderings of memories.

Perhaps because I did so much yard work for her when I was a kid, I found myself thinking about my kindergarten teacher Anne Pierce (b. 01 September 1905). Mrs. Pierce lived a couple of houses up from us there on Parkwood Circle in Buies Creek. She was the most wonderful and sweetest woman and became a kindergarten teacher after she retired from public school teaching. These were in the days before we had public kindergarten in North Carolina.

For both nursery school and kindergarten, I went to a little brick building located behind the Home Ec house at Campbell University:

Yep, that's me on the right, in nursery school.

Kindergarten was in the morning, and nursery school was in the afternoon, if I remember correctly. There was a cute little red school house to the left of this building, but I remember it being mostly used for storage:


Anyway, once I hit about middle school age, I used to cut Mrs. Pierce's grass for $5.00. And pretty regularly, she'd make her specialty, which was lemon tarts. I've got a couple of versions of the recipe she passed on to me but I've never been able to make them like hers. I'm probably not sweet enough to take it to her level.


But I did invest time one afternoon a few days ago in trying out a recipe I found on the Butter Baking blog, and the result was still worthy, methinks. I've got to get a little more savvy with how to work with the homemade crust, since I let it be too thick and had to supplement with store-bought tart shells to finish using all the filling (made with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and minced fresh lemon zest).


By the way, Mrs. Pierce taught my sister Allison either in her final or her penultimate year as a public school teacher:




"Little Lemon Tarts," from Natasha of the Butter Baking blog.

1 comment:

Jay and Tracy Brown said...

it was wonderful seeing those old photos. mrs. pierce was a special lady...