Search RoHo Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Friday Night Lights

When I returned from a week on the road to Virginia Beach last week, I came home around 9 pm and found that this had happened:


This is the empty lot behind my house, and the lighting left over from when this was part of Modern Chevrolet has been reactivated and put to use. You might be able to see the back of the house in the middle right of that photo. Here's what that light spill looks like when viewed directly:

Look to the right of the house, where my car is parked.
That's my shadow from up on the hill.
That's how powerful the lightspill is.


This shows the contrast between the lightspill and the shadows.

It feels like, while I was away, my house was relocated to the middle of a high school football field on Friday night.

Here's a shot of the lights from the attic windows, in the rear gable:


No need to turn on the lights in the attic, because this is how much those lights illuminate the interior:


I emailed John Reece, the Managing Partner of Commercial Realty Advisors, which owns this property, to let him know I'd like us to discuss this. His reply was not encouraging, but I think it's because he has no idea how invasive and overpowering these lights are. I've sent him an invitation to come over one night, and I'll hope he'll have a beer with me, so we can look at it from both inside and outside of the house.

I cannot imagine that this kind of impact on a neighboring property owner will sit right with him. But we'll see.

UPDATE: John Reece has come through with a suitable solution: the lights will go off each evening at 7:30 pm. I can live with that!

No comments: