Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Meal No. 1148: Texas Red Chili Con Carne

The Thanksgiving holiday has arrived and it makes me happy inside and out. This is my favorite holiday, hands-down, and at the Roediger House, we stretch it into a multi-day celebration.

That's why last night, on Thanksgiving Eve, the tradition of having folks over for some grub and for games and/or karaoke and/or movies continued yet again. The frivolity of the Xbox ONE was counterbalanced by our serious dinner conversations, if this photo is of any indication:


Dinner was a slow-cooker beef-chunk chili called Texas Red Chili Con Carne, which came out still pretty spicy even though I tried to moderate the heat I was putting into it. I did have a chance to use up the last of the hot peppers brought to me by David Mearns of the Estate Plaster crew. The always-perfect Granny Wilson's cornbread was great again tonight, as were the creamy stuffed eggs.


Yesterday morning, I'd made up a batch of white chocolate-macadamia nut cookies to serve as our simple dessert:




"'Texas Red' Chili Con Carne," by Diane Unger-Mahoney. In Cook's Country, June/July 2005, p. 10-11.

"Granny Wilson's Honey Wheat Cornbread," shared by Linda B. Dunlap in 2006.

"Creamy Stuffed Eggs," a recipe shared with me by Barbara Huneycutt of Crozet, VA.

"Premier White Chocolate and Macadamia Pieces Cookies," from Hershey's Mauna Loa. Found online at http://www.maunaloa.com/recipes/cookies.asp.

1 comment: