Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Meal No. 1085: Pipetizer Casserole


I remain several days behind still on blogging, and for now, that means I'm catching up on recent meals prepared here at the Roediger House. In my obsession to blog every day, and having gotten trapped into the habit of numbering the meals since the first one made in the kitchen addition completed in 2009, this now takes us up to Meal Number 1085: Pipetizer Casserole. That's what was served up this past Tuesday night.

It is named in honor of friend and former neighbor Jon Piper, who (together with his wife Karissa) was responsible for alerting me to the Roediger House when it was put up for sale. When I found myself terrified that the work to be done on this great old place would overwhelm me, they gently took me by the hand and led me to see all that's wonderful about the RoHo. I overcame my fear and aggressively bid to win in the competition to buy the house, and I was ultimately successful.

When Jon was in town on business a few years ago, he sampled only a mere portion of this casserole on its inaugural appearance on a Roediger House menu (because he had a business dinner to go to), and we dubbed it a "pipetizer-size" portion, and that name stuck.

The above picture, by the way, is on the Chinet plates when I was setting up leftovers to serve to the guys from Estate Plaster, Inc., the next day. That's because I did a rare act of forgetting when it was time to photograph dinner as it was served. I do, however, have a picture of the bowl I managed to break when I was cleaning up from supper:




"Pipetizer Casserole" is an adaptation of "Tailgate Casserole," from The Big Book of Casseroles, by Maryana Vollstedt. San Francisco: Chronicle Books (2000), p. 120.

No comments: