Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Meal No. 1072: Tomato Pie

It's not all that often that I fix a meal that would qualify as "vegetarian," but that was the case with the lighter supper I put together this past Wednesday night, which consisted of Caesar salad and tomato pie. I'd had an amazing tomato pie on a visit to friends and colleagues John and Donna Whitley-Smith but I couldn't put my hands on the recipe Donna shared with me.


So instead, using the wonderful cookbook from Asheville's Tupelo Honey Cafe, a sweet gift from my sister Allison, I ventured into this previously-untried dish, using fresh garden tomatoes brought by Philip Lamachio, who's restoring the plaster in the house.


In a word: fantastic. This is a keeper and a repeater.



"Tomato Pie" (p. 190-191), in Tupelo Honey Cafe: Spirited Recipes from Asheville's New South Kitchen, by Elizabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2011.

No comments: