Search RoHo Blog

Monday, August 4, 2014

Furniture Repair & Recovery

Back at the beginning of July, when I went through an intense period of motivation to get a lot of things done on the house front, I did a bit of Angie's List research and came up with a couple of good names for furniture refinishing and repair. I loaded up the truck with a parlour set (along with an extra side chair I got through eBay) and took them to Grubbs' Woodworks on the west side of Winston-Salem:


Two of those chairs needed casters reattached to stay, and all of them were rickety to some extent. I've gotten the call to come pick them up and will be dropping other furniture off when I do!

I also got the guys from Reynolda Upholstery to come pick up some other furniture that's in a bad way:

Club Chair

Club Chair: Busted Springs

Club Sofa

Club Sofa: Busted Springs

I really like the old fabric on these two "club" pieces but the chair covering is showing a lot of wear and also seems to have a fair amount of dry rot. I hate to lose that upholstery and may try to save what's on the sofa.

This sofa belonged to my parents and is part of
what I inherited from my mother.
It's been in yucky storage for several years
and really needs to be recovered.

I was surprised at how quickly this fabric wore out.
This chair is only a few years old!

Lots of problems with springs!

No comments: