Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Demise of the UVA Stadium Cup

On November 16, 1996, I attended my one and only football game at Scott Stadium at the University of Virginia. I was in my first semester of my PhD program and some of my family came up to root for our beloved Carolina Tar Heels against the Cavaliers.

We were decked out in our UNC finery and sat in the visitors' section, thanks (I'm sure) to the generosity of long-time Rams Club member and family friend Bill Randall. UNC was favored to win but UVA pulled off a thrilling 20-17 upset and we Tar Heels had to head home with our sad heads wagging.

Other than the lingering bitter disappointment at throwing away a game that UNC had mostly controlled, my other souvenir was this stadium cup. It's served me well for nearly 18 years but, over the weekend, it finally cracked. Farewell, silly souvenir!

No comments: