Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Stucco'd On You, North Chimney


Back in June, if you'd stood on the upstairs porch and looked up at the roof of the house, you would have been able to see the two chimneys that each serve four fireplaces on each side of the house. The south chimney was the one that was in such bad shape, and sometime in the past, it was dismantled down to a lower height, as you can see above.  This past Monday, I blogged about the rebuild of the south chimney, which as you can see here is the lesser of the two in this "before" photo. I do not use the fireplaces and don't have much of an idea about their condition within, although someday I hope to get them lined so that I can install, perhaps, a parlour stove or two.

In the picture below, taken from the hill behind the house, you can see the north chimney standing tall as well as the new chimney and fireplace that were built as part of the addition on the back of the house.


But the north chimney was also needing some cosmetic upgrading:


Right after the south chimney was finished, José Cruz tackled the refinishing of the north chimney, including patching where I'd lost some stucco and then giving the whole thing a base and then final coat.



As I noted when detailing the work on the south chimney, the final appearance was much, much whiter than I'd anticipated, but I think it still looks fine.


No comments: