Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Terrace Tour at 751 W Fourth Building

Just to the north of the house, across West Fourth Street, I'm getting an imposing new neighbor: 751 W. Fourth Street. It's being developed and marketed by Commercial Realty Advisors here in Winston-Salem, led by Managing Partner John Reece. I'm pleased for downtown and for the City that this project is underway.

A week or so ago, when John invited me to join in on a discussion of landscaping of the lots that border mine (these are also going to be developed at some point by John and CRA), he invited me to take a tour with camera in hand of the building, and in particular, the top-floor terrace. It delighted me to take him up on that offer, and here are the shots I snapped on that slightly-rainy afternoon:

Fifth Floor Terrace, looking east at the Winston-Salem skyline

Fifth Floor Terrace: view of Fourth & Broad intersection
West End Village in foreground; WFU Baptist Medical Center in distance

Foreground: Roediger House
Mid-Distance: The Hawthorne Inn
Far Distance: UNC School of the Arts

Looking South with Roediger House (C) and lots for future development (R)

Commercial Realty has big plans all around me, as you can see here.

Looking down on North Spring Street (L) and Roediger House (C)

When John and I were talking in the gravel lot next to the house, he mentioned the two rental houses on the other side of me and asked what I'd think of CRA buying them to expand the development plans they could undertake around me. He also asked if I'd thought about selling the Roediger House.

That threw me for quite a loop and, quite frankly, has toyed with my mind. Don't get me wrong: I ain't selling the Roediger House. But if CRA purchased 300 and 308 N. Spring...and if they could talk the four owners of the townhouse offices (foreground in the picture above) into selling, then someday, if you come visit me, this is what you might encounter:

With tribute and apologies to the dear late Edith Macefield of Seattle, WA.

No comments: