Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

751 West Fourth Street: A Towering New Neighbor


Over the last few months, I've made passing references to, and occasionally posted pictures which include, the sizable construction project taking place directly north of the house, across West Fourth Street. It's been given the name "751 West Fourth" (which I count as a good change, given that originally it was announced as "415 North Broad." It faces Fourth Street and that's the broad front of the building. I also appreciate how it takes its stand as part of this great east-west downtown corridor, the key to the revitalized downtown of which Winston-Salem can now boast.

Anyway, I have thus far failed to post much of anything about this huge spectacle that will transform the look of this area, between the announcement via a Winston-Salem Journal article and a post about the arrival of the rooftop HVAC units.


I've enjoyed watching it. I sit in my old man's chair by the fireside in the morning, drinking coffee and staring at the activity as it plays out. Back when it was just the sitework, grading, and fill, I was mesmerized by the artistry of the crawler excavator in the hands of its capable operator. I even downloaded manufacturer website pics, like a real fanboy:


The steel erection was also fun to watch. On one particularly lovely fall morning, I took my cup of coffee out on the wrap-around porch and put my camp chair on the north side, where the spectating was best:



Under development by Tight Lines Partners, and more particularly Commercial Realty Associates, this five-story Class A office building will be a dramatic improvement over the surface parking lot and empty sales building that languished there ever since the departure of Modern Chevrolet for its new digs on University Parkway.

I have been chronicling the progress on the project since before it began, and when I had an unexpected day at home because of an early March winter storm, I uploaded the pics into my Flickr account. Anyone who's particularly interested can check it out here:

    751 West Fourth Photo Collection on Flickr

Some of my favorite shots thus far, though, are these:









In the meantime, I'm reposting here the aerial photos from the 751 West Fourth website showing monthly progress:

August 2013
[photo from 751WestFourth.com]

November 2013
[photo from 751WestFourth.com]

January 2014
[photo from 751WestFourth.com]

Here's a fun extra pic from their website, showing the view from the rooftop terrace, looking south towards the Roediger House:

View looking down at Roediger House
[Photo from  751WestFourth.com]

No comments: