Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Meal No. 896: Bee Bee Flick's Covered Dish Chicken

For a number of years, I was a regular visitor to Louisa County, Virginia, working with the school district there, which is under the very able leadership of Superintendent Deborah Pettit. And since Deborah was kind enough not to put me up at the local Rebel Motel, or make me drive over from a hotel in Charlottesville, she and her husband Pembroke would instead have me stay at their house. We passed many a good evening there, with delicious dinners usually made by Pembroke and casual evenings visiting in the family room.

The Pettits were also kind enough to let me raid their stash of cookbooks and copy down a pretty long list of recipes. That was the source of this evening's one-dish meal: Bee Bee Flick's Covered Dish Chicken. One bite of this great southern casserole, and I thought for sure I was in the fellowship hall back at Memorial Baptist Church in Buies Creek.


And I continue to be mighty glad that I included a wood-burning fireplace when I demolished the old kitchen and built a completely new one from scratch:

Fire No. 26



"Bee Bee Flick's Covered Dish Chicken," from Sinkin' Spells, Hot Flashes, Fits, and Cravins, by Ernest Matthew Mickler. Ten Speed Press, 1988.

No comments: