Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day 2013


Greetings on this merry Christmas day from the warm and cozy Roediger House. The day began bright and early, right around 6 am, with temps outside a very chilly 19°F. I lit the fire that I'd already laid and tossed the Christmas morning rolls into the oven.

Cyprus, warmed by Fire No. 22


The rolls didn't turn out quite right but I could still eat around the edges. (I do not have very good luck with Parker House frozen yeast rolls.) It was another tribute to memories of Christmas at my mother's house: there would almost always be a pan of these. My sister Allison still continues this tradition best among my siblings.

Mid-afternoon, when I was taking Cyprus out for a pee break, my eye caught something that I had not expected: a Christmas Day bloom from the very sturdy iris right outside the back door:


There was a nap this afternoon. And some clean-up from last night's fun Christmas Eve gathering. And then I turned my attention to dinner prep for tonight. This was another late, late night holiday meal at the Roediger House, with food going on the table just before 10 pm. It was worth the wait, though!




I've never tried to do anything with Cornish hens before. The result was awesome. And the corn maque choux: wow. Just wow.

And before I could go to bed, there was a little business to conduct in anticipation of special guests here tomorrow night:





"Cornbread-Stuffed Cornish Game Hens with Corn Maque Choux," by Bruce Aidells. In Bon Appétit, October 2008, p. 110. Recipe found online.

No comments: