Search RoHo Blog

Monday, June 10, 2013

Winston-Salem's Finest Homes of Yesteryear

George and Laura Roediger built this house in 1905. I bought it just shy of its Centennial, in 2003. For most of this last decade, my knowledge of the Roedigers has been pretty limited and was gathered from bits and pieces and various sources, much of which is tucked away in my mix of files related to buying the Roediger House.

Near the end of last summer, I got this burst of interest in knowing more about the house and about the family. For a long time, I've operated under a hopeful assumption that this fine estate would naturally have been captured in various pictures buried in old newspapers or pictorial histories of Winston-Salem...that I had only to stroll the block and a half to the main branch of the county library and marvelous historial treats would be mine (after the anticipated digging and searching).

Another source of history is a website called DigitalForsyth.org. What has puzzled me so much is that my very beautiful old home doesn't show up in any pictures, ever. I mean: c'mon! It's a lovely and stately place and it's close to a main drag. How come it has never been caught in any street shots, parade photos, or even featured just on its own merits?

Well, the simple answer is this: my home may be a marvelous place to call home, and it may stand out beautifully against much of the rest of the neighborhood...but at the time it was built, it was modest at best. The homes that were worth a photographer's attention, whose stately presence is captured in sometimes fuzzy old black-and-white or sepia-toned prints, completely leave mine in the dust.

The following pictures should give you a clue as to what I mean.












It boggles my mind, though, that all those gorgeous old palaces of old are all gone. And my humble abode somehow endures.

How cool and simultaneously awful is that?

No comments: