Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Meal No. 748: Salisbury Steak

When I was in my PhD program at the University of Virginia, I was introduced to the Green Valley Book Fair. This very cool wholesale bookseller offers deeply discounted books and is open for about two weeks six different times across the year. Not only did I stumble across the Handbook of Research in Social Studies Education, with a sticker of $25 instead of $100+, but I also picked up a couple of cookbooks.

That I hardly ever look at today, actually. Tonight I reached for one of and made an interesting recipe for Salisbury steak. With the chili sauce-infused wine sauce to go with it, it was more like meatloaf patties. The four of us around the table were somewhat split on this: two of us thought it was pretty good, and it got lukewarm reviews from the other half.


I'd also like to note that, if memory serves, this is my first occasion for using the broiler pan that I received in the division of my mother's household goods, amongst the siblings:


I know I'm full, and yet it didn't stop us all from reaching for some of the desserts left over from yesterday's baby shower.



"Salisbury Steak," in America's Best-Loved Community Recipes, Vol. I, from Better Homes and Gardens, p. 214-215.

No comments: