Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Gallon of Vanilla Bean Paste

My sister Allison in Indiana very thoughtfully shared with me some vanilla bean paste, which is a viscous bean-specked 1-to-1 alternative to vanilla extract, and I've enjoyed using it for the last several months. Unfortunately, the small 4-ounce bottles of it can be pretty expensive: $12.95 from King Arthur Flour, for instance. When I can buy things in quantity to get a dramatic savings, though, I'll do it. (I was a quick convert to Sam's Club and Costco, let me tell you!)

Recently, as my supply of vanilla bean paste slowly diminished, I decided to seek out a bulk purchasing option, and found it.


Boy howdy, did I find it. I now have a full gallon's worth of vanilla bean paste, and that's going to make for some extra tasty goodies in the coming months: from cookies to confections to turning out a vanilla version of Donna Whitley-Smith's mother's frozen custard ice cream!


I can use it lavishly now that I'll not feel constrained by the limited supply found in the expensive 4-oz bottles.

No comments: