Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Diagnosis on Cyprus: Hypothyroidism

When Cyprus arrived at the Roediger House, at the end of May 2011, she looked like this:

May 2011

At the time, the best guest of the veterinarian that she was around 2 years old. I did not look back at the records, but I think she was just under 50 pounds.

A year ago, in April 2012, she showed she'd begun to put on some weight. It's true that I don't walk her nearly enough, and it's easy to over-treat her. And I wasn't measuring her food so there's no doubt she was getting over-fed. There's a particularly awful-looking picture of her that I can't bring myself to post again, but you can look back at it by following this link.

April 2012

Cyprus's latest vet appointment was on April 2, and she weighed in at 77 pounds. This shocked me, because I've tried to cut back on treats and I've also started measuring her food (and she's really cut back!). When I had to report that weight to the vet tech, after weighing Cyprus, I asked if it was possible that the crazy cat lady who'd just left had managed to put her foot on the scales.

April 2013

The vet decided it was time to check to see if her weight issue was related to low thyroid, and that's what the tests showed. Now, in addition to her monthly Trifexis for fleas, ticks, and heartworm, she now gets a twice-daily thyroid medication. Since it's a rather small pill, this has proven to be a fairly easy and uncomplicated task, especially with the handy pill-popper recommended by friend and colleague Jeremy Craft.

Now, if I could find a more satisfactory way to administer those comparatively huge Trifexis pills...

No comments: