Search RoHo Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Chocolate Cake and Homemade Frozen Custard

For last night's dinner, I got it in my head to also throw together some dessert. Of course, by the time I had everything going, this was a bit more than I could gracefully handle and still meet my 6:30 pm target. So, I rushed the frosting, probably could've put some more confectioner's sugar in it, and didn't try to make it pretty.


But boy howdy it was a tasty cake. I used to make this with some regularity, back when I was feeding my Wake Forest University social studies education students. This is Hershey's deep dark chocolate cake with a chocolate buttercream frosting. It's decadently chocolatey, for sure.


As if cake wasn't enough, the gorgeous weather (I feel like spring finally arrived this weekend, frankly) put me in the mood to make the season's first batch of homemade ice cream in the big bucket freezer with the ice and rock salt and all. A few years ago, Donna Whitley-Smith shared with me her mother's and grandmother's recipe for frozen lemon custard, and I just went with the vanilla version of it tonight. Since I used vanilla bean paste, it jazzed it up with all those marvelous bean specks, too.




"Deep Dark Chocolate Cake," from Hershey's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook. Wilton, CT: Joshua Morris Publishing (1993), p. 20-21.

"Frozen Custard," by Willa Whitley and shared by Donna Whitley-Smith, June 2007.

1 comment:

hootowlkarma said...

Dessert perfection, my friend. Sorry we weren't there to share it with you! This cake has been featured at well over 50 percent of Jay and Hunter's birthday gatherings over the years, and it never gets old. This year for Hunter's cake I chose to go with a last minute substitution in the buttercream icing rather than race out to the store at the 11th hour. I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa in the icing. As it came together, the color went from dark gray to black. Tasted fine, got rave reviews from everyone but me, Julie and the birthday boy. I'll be sticking with the regular cocoa from now on...