Search RoHo Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

Meal No. 701: Pan-Seared Filet Mignon

On Saturday, when the temps were in the upper 70s and the sunshine was gracious and warm, and the breezes were soothing, it seemed to me that a grilled supper was called for. I've gotten to do my fair share of good grilling but, to my way of thinking, it's hard to beat a good ol' steak and some french fries.

I even finally got around to doing a partial (and much-overdue) cleaning of the grill, while the weather was so nice. But it was just as I was finishing up the bulk of that that the rains came. This was not helpful, not only because I now have my grill out in the open instead of on the front porch, but also because I'd already set the deep fat fryer outside and it was well on its way to hot hot oil.

It took me a while to find it, but I shifted gears to a set of directions for pan-searing filets and finishing them off by roasting them briefly in the oven. The steaks were perfect and the french fries were tasty, although not a particularly healthy choice.



"Pan-Seared Filet Mignon," from Cook's Illustrated. Published May 2001. Accessed online.

No comments: