Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Supporting Local Businesses: Hill's Alterations

Living downtown is awesome and has many advantages. Not only are there plenty of restaurants and bars and entertainment venues within walking distance of the house, there are a few hearty downtown businesses that it's worth supporting.

Over the last year or so, I've accumulated nearly a dozen articles of clothing that need mending or alteration, and I finally noticed the sign for Hill's Alterations as I walked Cyprus along Fourth Street.

The trick, though, is getting my stuff up there and back given how much I'm on the road. After months of having the bag of items sitting near the front door, I walked up to Hill's last November but found they were closed the rest of that week. I made it back up there in late January and got to drop the bag off.

Of course it turns out that when I was home on a Monday to go and collect them, this is the sign that was on the door:


I'm glad they're there to serve me, except when they're not there to serve me. With few weekdays in town this winter and spring, my tendency to procrastinate, and a business that seems to shutter for brief periods, this became a comically-complicated endeavor.

Once I picked up my stuff last week, though, I was pleased that I'd gotten Hill's to do the work.

No comments: