Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Meal No. 652: Savory Garlic Beef & Broccoli Turnovers


This is now the third time that I've made these marvelous and reasonably uncomplicated beef and broccoli turnovers, and boy howdy, are they mighty fine. Tonight they were just right for an evening of Doctor Who Christmas specials (this year's and last year's both).


I also tried for the first time a recipe for cooked carrots shared with me by my sister Allison in Indiana. They too were awfully good. The recipe came from a local cooking school up there that her husband Tom has been taking occasional classes from. There are several recipes she's shared with me that I need to be busy making.

Also, here's a rare turn of events: the creator of this recipe, Kirsten Shabaz, stopped by the Roediger House blog and left a comment on the entry for my previous round of these turnovers. She's offered a recipe for apple turnovers that I hope to follow up with her and get.



"Savory Garlic Beef & Broccoli Turnovers," by Kirsten Shabaz of Minneapolis, MN. Taste of Home, November 2011, p. 31. [Taste of Home misspelled Kirsten's name in that issue, mistakenly renaming her "Kristen."] Recipe can also be found here.

"Carrot Ginger Fondant," by Chef Monique Jamet Hooker. From KitchenArt: The Store for Cooks (West Lafayette, IN). ["Fondant" seems an interesting word choice, although maybe I just have a misunderstanding of its range of use as a cooking term.]

No comments: