Search RoHo Blog

Friday, September 14, 2012

Meal No. 596: Pipetizer Casserole


Last night's dinner was a Roediger House special casserole, lovingly named Pipetizer Casserole in honor of long-time friend Jon Piper (who, along with his wife Karissa, originally pointed out this house to me and told me to buy it, which I did).

This was not my original plan for the evening, though. Yesterday was my birthday, which I like to be a low-key affair anyway. For the last two or three years, what's helped me to make the day special was to get in my kitchen and try to whip up a monstrous meal for some of my good friends here in town. This year, though, with too much going on and knowing that I'd be starting out very early Friday morning for a trip to Tennessee, I was hoping to have a quiet but nice dinner out at the fancy new restaurant that is practically my neighbor on Spring Street. The place is called Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen, and Bar, which is one of the sights outside my kitchen bay windows.


Alas, guests who were not invited and who had been discouraged from coming needed a place to stay this week...it is a couple that is in great distress, and I've known them a very long time. So the last couple of nights have had to be devoted to other people's needs. I scrapped my birthday dinner plans and put together instead this very fine and filling meal, adding feta-stuffed peppers on the side. It was all pretty good. Just not the image of how I'd hoped to (1) spend my last night at home for a while, or (2) celebrate my birthday.



"Pipetizer Casserole" is an adaptation of "Tailgate Casserole," from The Big Book of Casseroles, by Maryana Vollstedt. San Francisco: Chronicle Books (2000), p. 120.

No comments: