Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Meal No. 519: Porchetta-Style Roast Pork

Tonight's meal was for a full dinner table of guests, and it was another occasion for putting a Boston Butt pork shoulder into play. Instead of my usual barbecue concoction, though, I piloted a recipe that's new to me that was in an issue of Bon Appétit a couple of years ago. I had to get started on it last night, with toasting some spices and hand-grinding them, along with an intense minced garlic rub, for an overnight sit in the fridge. Four hours of cooking this afternoon had the house smelling great.


The crew said it was good enough to be brought back for a starring spot on a future dinner menu.

Just in case I haven't yet made my regular guests sick to death of it, I had to have that eggy potato salad another time. C'mon: roast pork like this begs for some mushy potato salad on a nice summer evening. I'm really stuck on this dish at the moment.


The other side item was the traditional Campbell's Kitchens cream of mushroom soup green bean casserole.



"Porchetta-Style Roast Pork," by Jeanne Kelley in Bon Appétit, June 2010.

"Eggy Potato Salad with Pickles," by Jenny Rosenstratch and Andy Ward. In Bon Appétit, May 2012, p. 36.


No comments: