Search RoHo Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Meal No. 504: Authentic Shrimp Po'Boys

Every single one of you, right now, needs to go and download these two recipes (see links at the bottom of this post).

You may not think or know at present that you are destined to make amazing shrimp po'boys at home, but you can and you will.

Maybe, though, my absence from New Orleans for a year now has skewed my tastes and memories. Nonetheless, I found tonight's dinner to be a mighty fine reckoning of the authentic tastes of a classic po'boy, as introduced to me with useful tutoring by Tim Schwarz. What was missing was the true New Orleans-style French roll, and that's a definite drawback.

The seasoning and breading for the fried shrimp were spot on. But to me, that rémoulade was just stunning. It was perfect for these po'boys but I will also want to use it with crab cakes one of these days, and who knows what else.



This evening's meal was a win. And a New Orleans-inspired meal is not complete without a good supply of Abita beer.  Check:





"Shrimp Po'Boy," in Bon Appétit, June 2011, p. 118-119.

"Rémoulade," online at bonappetit.com.

No comments: