Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Cinnamon Toast Blast from the Past


The photograph makes my cinnamon toast look overcooked, or burnt, even. But it was actually pretty close to on target.  Do you have any idea how long it's been since I even had any cinnamon toast? This was something I ate all the time growing up, and then it's been a favorite in the various places I've lived. It's the main reason that I kept a toaster oven for so long, although the one that went with me to start my freshman year at UNC finally got to where it didn't cook so well anymore and it's now down in the cellar somewhere.

When I was a hall director during my masters program at Wake Forest, I bought loaf after loaf of bread, and gallon after gallon of milk, and container after container of squeeze Parkay...because I made these for the guys in the dorm quite a bit. I recall fondly the late-night knocks on the door, when a whole suite of residents would troop over to the hall director apartment and demand that I fix this for them.

No comments: