Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day 2012

I am happy to tell you about this very good first day of the New Year.

Although it was about a two-hour process, I gave into the hankering to try out a recipe for shrimp bisque. That was the substance of my New Year's Day brunch, which was Meal No. 413. And I've learned something very important about Asian shrimp paste: it is extremely hot. So let's think of this not just as shrimp bisque but as bitchin' shrimp bisque. I downed three tall glasses of cold ice water with it.


It was a phenomenally gorgeous day in Winston-Salem today. Just light breezes but the temps climbed up to around 65°F. That gave Cyprus and me a chance to do a great downtown walk where I just wore my t-shirt. Looking a bit holiday scruffy, but we're all friends here, right?




After a crew of us took in a New Year's day movie ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"), I invited folks back here to the house to partake of a simple supper. So Meal No. 414 was eastern North Carolina barbecue and I also added an Emeril Lagasse sauce that normally would be served with ribs. There was enough time between the movie and the dinner bell to also throw together some Grown-Up Mac-N-Cheese, which tasted just fine but wasn't nearly cheesy enough this time.



We finished off our meal with some dried-out cinnamon chip cookies and Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream.




"Shrimp Bisque with Crab & Tapioca," from Chef John Besh. In Food & Wine, November 2011, p. 150, 152.

"Southern Style Pulled Pork BBQ (Slow Cooker Recipe)," from Christy Jordan at SouthernPlate.com.

Barbecue Sauce by Emeril Lagasse, 2001.

"Grown-Up Mac-N-Cheese," from Ina Garten.

"Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream," by Kathy Strahs on CookingOnTheSide.com.

"Cinnamon Chip-Oatmeal Cookies," from the Hershey's cinnamon chip morsels package.

No comments: