Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Meal No. 419: Eastern North Carolina Barbecue

My cousin Marilyn and her husband Bob moved to Winston-Salem (well, Lewisville, which is right next door) last year. She and I had just corresponded recently about some of the things to do in Winston-Salem, and we noted our need to get together soon. Then, at the start of last week, Marilyn sent out the sad news that Bob had passed away during the night. Such a young man, relatively speaking: he was only 54 (and that strikes close to home).

Assuming the family who were able to come would gather at Marilyn's house following the memorial service, I figured I'd better get something cooked up that would be easy for helping feed people. That led me to the simple slow-cooker version for barbecue that I've now made several times. That went in around 1:30 am last night and my plan was to run home and fetch it between the service and the adjournment to their house.

But they have such a fantastic set of new neighbors, and one of them owns a restaurant (Big Shotz Tavern) close by, and so my BBQ was un-needed. I'll take leftovers to Marilyn in the next few days, though.


That means they also didn't get the cinnamon chip-oatmeal cookies I made to take, either.



"Southern-Style Pulled Pork BBQ (Slow Cooker Recipe)," from Christy Jordan at SouthernPlate.com.

"Hershey's Oatmeal-Cinnamon Chip Cookies," from Hershey's recipes online.

No comments: