Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Under the Bread Walk

You might have noticed that I think living downtown is pretty cool. Let me offer up yet another reason why.

Within the last few weeks, I've gotten it in my head twice (Meal No. 388 and Meal No. 399) that I oughta make some French toast. And most of the recipes I look at for this tell me I'd better use good sweeter breads like challah or brioche.

I might think about this on a shopping trip to the Harris Teeter, although I have not found my usual store to regularly feature these breads from their in-store bakery.

But do you want to guess what I have within walking distance from the house? Not one but two fine bakeries: the longer-established Ollie's and the more recently-opened Camino.
That's how I was able to get up just a few mornings ago, decide I wanted to make French toast for the folks who'd crashed overnight, and I could stroll the 10 minutes up Fourth Street to Camino and get a loaf of brioche bread for this occasion. I just wish Ben Phillis hadn't dropped it on the sidewalk when we were walking back to the house with it.

No comments: