Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas and Movies

This is not about watching Christmas movies; this is about watching movies at Christmas. One of the things I relish about the Yuletide season is I get to completely indulge in movies without a hint, trace, or iota of guilt. I used to be a big consumer of movies but my work and travels and home pursuits (like cooking) do not offer the same generosity of time I once had. So Christmas is the time to say I love you, movies.

Starting bright and early Saturday morning (Christmas Eve) through bedtime Sunday night (Christmas Day), I watched nine movies. Actually, the film count is greater than that because I watched at least three collections of independent movies, which might have had 4-6 films within each. Regardless, it's a great way to holiday, if you ask me.


And one of the films, "My Week with Marilyn," was taken in at a/perture cinema, which is just up the street from the house. Some friends from 6th and Vine were taking it in and invited me along. I'm glad they did: I'm not sure I would have realized this was a film to see, but it was excellent. And consider a/perture as one more cool feature of downtown living in Winston-Salem: an independent arthouse that is minutes away by foot.

I'll be heading back up there later this week to see "The Descendants," and in a couple of weeks, I'll be anticipating the arrival of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."

No comments: