Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Meal No. 393: Garlic & Rosemary-Crusted Roasted Racks of New Zealand Lamb

Added into the celebrations of Thanksgiving this week has been the special treat of a visit from former Wake Forest University grad student Tim Schwarz, who came in this past Tuesday from New Orleans. Tim is a good guest because one of the attractions for him of visiting here is he likes the time to just hang out or read or head out to traipse around downtown exploring what's changed since he was last here.

And he enjoys food and helps knock out those pesky leftovers.

Last night, returning early from Thanksgiving with his own family, Bradley Phillis joined us. He and Tim went through the WFU program together, were neighbors during that year, and have continued keeping up with one another for talks about teaching and education and all such things. I figured I'd better give these boys a good supper. Bradley's brother Ben, currently a Master Teacher Fellow in social studies education at Wake, was also in attendance.

I've been glad to find that rack of lamb is back in the meat case at Sam's Club.

So our special Friday night gathering was a terrific feast that still sets a holiday mood but gives us all a break from the usual Thanksgiving fare and its attendant leftovers.


In this picture above, that's four luscious racks resting with a paste of rosemary, garlic, and olive oil.


I think the fellas were particularly pleased with the Madeira and Bleu d'Auvergne Cantorel sauce that paired nicely both with the lamb and with the mashed potatoes. I also made a whole new batch of the layered green bean casserole (same dish as I made for Thursday's Thanksgiving meal) because (1) it was so good, and (2) Tim ate all the leftovers of it that I'd been looking forward to.


It was good to see the guys enjoying a visit with one another again. All-in-all, it was a fine Friday night at the Roediger House.

You know, when I bought this place, I envisioned it as a comfortable space for my students. Even though I've left Wake Forest far behind, I sure do like that this aspect has had staying power.



"Garlic-Crusted Roast Rack of Lamb," Food & Wine, April 2011, p. 148.

"Madeira & Stilton Sauce," from More Than Gourmet recipe collection online.

No comments: