Search RoHo Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Meal No. 392: Thanksgiving 2011

As noted in yesterday's blog post, Thanksgiving is a two-day celebration. I guess it is my favorite of all the holidays, really. It is one of those occasions when I realize how very, very fortunate I am to live the life I do and to get to be in this terrific house. Among the things I love the most are when the RoHo can play host to a food-centered gathering of good people...Thanksgiving is ideal for that.


The morning began with mimosas and fresh-baked cream cheese banana bread with a citrus glaze, piping hot and fresh from the oven.


I much prefer zucchini bread myself, but I had seen this recipe in some issue of Southern Living a while back and it seemed worth a try. I've made it now; I doubt I'll need to make it again.


With people just kind of hanging out, I also figured I'd better have something snackable on hand as the afternoon wore on, and appetites kicked up and required suppressing. That was where my homemade pimento cheese came in. I also had a shrimp tray, that was perfect for the 4 o'clock munchies. I put aside the cocktail sauce and broke out the seafood sauce that my cousin Betsy made and kindly shared when she and her husband Jim came for dinner not so long ago. That's good stuff!

Thanksgiving Bounty 2011
At the Roediger House, Thanksgiving is a night-time meal, usually served around 7 pm. Over the last several years, this gathering has been as large as 18 and required multiple tables and even using the North parlour for seating.

Last night was delightfully intimate, with eight awesome souls partaking. I enjoyed my time in the kitchen, whipping up the dishes that we would use to stuff ourselves silly. And it does end up being almost too much for the plate.

What you might be able to pick out of the picture above is the following, starting at the bottom and working clockwise: roasted beef tenderloin in wine sauce, turkey breast, corn pudding, layered green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and stuffing. Nestled in the middle are Brussels sprouts and bacon, brought by dinner guests Amy and Alston.

After dinner, I had to lie down on the floor in front of the wetbar because of the food coma. People leaned down to tell me goodbye on their way out.

No comments: