Search RoHo Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

Sweet, Smiley Cyprus

That sweet, sweet Cyprus.

She's been a resident of the Roediger House long enough now that I feel like she minds reasonably well and it seems safe enough, finally, to let her go outside into the backyard without having her on a leash. She's still watched closely, of course.

But here's what I love about it: we can finally throw the tennis ball outdoors.

I loved doing this with the recently departed Susie, an amazing dog who was taken in by my dear Charlottesville/UVA friends Dan and Judy Hallahan. (Well, their daughter Kate originally scooped up Susie on the side of a highway, but she lived with Kate's folks in Earlysville.) Susie had an inexhaustible appetite for fetch, and she was the sweetest dog in the world. Not sure that I would have been willing to get a dog if I didn't discover how much I could love them with pups like Susie.

Right now, though, Cyprus will only run back five or six tosses of the tennis ball before she's ready to lie down in the grass with it and grin at me while she catches her breath. She and I both probably need a lot more exercise.

No comments: