Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Meal No. 359: Beef Brisket

Finally, I cooked something reasonably new and reasonably interesting, following my long stretch of September traveling.


This here is my first attempt at making beef brisket, using a recipe very kindly shared with me by Jeri Swogger, Director of Elementary Instruction in Frederick County Schools in Virginia. This was the way her mother made it, and she has served it to me a time or two when I've had the pleasure of dining with her and her family. It's the kind of meal that you cook for about six hours the day before you serve it, then you chill it over night, then you slice it and put it back in the oven for another hour. All that time pays off, too: it was delicious.

I tried out a new recipe for mixed vegetables with cream sauce, and that wasn't too bad either. In addition, there was a mess of company mashed potatoes and some fresh-made honey wheat bread. All this served well for a delightful gathering of seven folks around the table.



"Quick Mixed Vegetables with Cream Sauce," from Cook's Country, October/November 2011, p. 21.

No comments: