Search RoHo Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Southwestern U.S. Tour: Day 9

I doubt I could ever get tired of waking up in a room perched atop the south rim of the Grand Canyon and being able to look out and across and down into it.



It was another perfect weather day, the sky clear and bright, the sun warm on my face. For a while, it was enough to sit with coffee in hand and just marvel at the grandeur and beauty. I also had to consider that it might be a while before I get to come back again.


Lunch was in Williams, AZ, and then there was time for a stop at Hoover Dam before cruising into Vegas late afternoon. When Sheryl Cohen and I came through here on our cross-country drive in 1998, US 93 still traced a course right over the dam. I suppose that's too big of a security threat now, plus they've four-laned US 93 from Kingman up to just south of Boulder City, NV. So getting down into the dam area takes a little more doing. Today, with my smartphone telling me it was 107°F and the continued good fortune of crystal blue clear skies above, it was a quick park and walk across the dam and snag a few photos here and there. I was pretty withered by the time I got back to the car, and I decided to pass on the chance to go up on the new Memorial bridge span and look down on it all. Maybe another time.



The dam does, of course, straddle the border between Arizona and Nevada, so here is one final state welcome sign to finish out this fantastic trip.

No comments: